Sunday, February 14, 2010

My Culinary Olympic Challenge / Day 1

82 Countries
82 Recipes
16 Days

Can it be done? I hope so. Will I go crazy in the attempt and start acting like a vicious blood sucking bunny? Maybe.
It’s two in the morning and I’m still making lists and compiling recipes. I’m driven. I’m obsessed. I hope this stays with me to the end. It’s the second day of Olympic events, third counting opening ceremony, and so far I’ve produced 5 dishes, and ticked off 5 countries. South Korea, Nepal, India, Pakistan, and Iran. So far the key here is to stay focused and keep the dishes simple but delicious. Here are the profiles for my first dishes:


Dish: Kalbi Short Ribs
Country: South Korea
Weight: 1.1 Pounds
Dimensions: ¼ inch thick by 10 inches long
Score: 4.9

Dish: Carrot Pudding
Country: Nepal
Weight: ½ Pound
Dimensions: 1 and ½ inches deep in pot
Score: 3.7


Dish: Chicken Curry with Sliced Apples
Country: India
Weight: 1.6 Pounds
Dimensions: 4 inches deep
Score: 4. 7

Dish: Chapati
Country: Pakistan
Weight: 6 oz.
Dimensions: 5 inches in Diameter
Score: 3.9

Dish: Milky Mash Potatoes
Country: Iran
Weight: 1.2 pounds
Dimensions: 6 inches long
Score: 4.3


It's looking good so far. Curry and Kalbi came through with flying colors, and the Potatoes and Chapati were a close second, with Carrot Pudding trailing in at last. My chapati was a little chewy, but the toastyness ( yes I make words up) made up for it. The curry was a roaring success, and I will definitely be making it again. Please stay tuned for the next countries' dishes, and let me know what you think of my challenge.

No comments: