Thursday, February 18, 2010

Culinary Olympics Day 2


Day 2 of Culinary Olympics. Being daunted already by even the thought of 82 countries. I think I’ve lost it. I was able to make dishes for three Asian countries.

Dish: Mongolian Beef
Country: Mongolia, Duh!
Weight: 6 ounces
Dimensions: Variant in nature, a 1 inch high, 5 inch wide blob
Score: 4.6

Dish: Spring Onion Flat Bread
Country: Taiwan
Weight: 18 ounces
Dimnsions: ¼ inch thick, 6 inch diameter
Score: 5.0

Dish: Japanese Cucumber pickle salad
Country: Uhh, Japan
Weight: 4 ounces
Dimensions: 3 inches deep, 4 inches wide in bowl
Score: 4.9

So only three countries this time. I had wanted to do Dan Ta (Custard Tart ) for Hong Kong and trying to find a North Korean recipe. Yah, they don’t exist. I could only find comments on how the food tasted in North Korea by a visiting Guilo. If anyone out there has an authentic North Korean recipe please let me know.

Countries I made. All in all the scores were high. My greatest success, the onion flatbread. A thin layer of toasted Korean sesame oil (I only use Korean, I am a sesame oil snob) rolled into each round flatbread with a sprinkling of green onion. Like heaven to eat, and we ended up doing Asian style tacos by putting the beef in the bread. I love Asian style tacos. My fave- Bulgolgi, Onion/Carrot/Zuchinni sautéed in Korean sesame oil with a little sea salt, Kimchi, Spring Onion Korean Spicy Salad, Cilantro, Korean toasted sesame seeds piled high on a shell fried in . . you guessed it, Korean sesame oil. That stuff is like a fine wine to me. I could take it straight in shots like whisky!

No comments: